A while ago, I saw an advertisement about essential oils on Facebook. The post was explaining the benefits of essential oils. Back then, I had a terrible back pain. So I sent a message to Nataliya Burdeina to get some samples to try. She advised me to try deep blue for my pain. After I applied this oil several times, I start to feel less pain on my back. That triggered me to learn more, so I ask Nataliya to tell me more about essential oils, which you will find in my interview on following paragraphs. Enjoy!
Before you begin, Can you tell a little bit about you?
First of all, dear Aysenur, thank you so much for the opportunity to meet your wonderful readers! My name is Nataliya. I am Ukrainian. I am 32 years old. I am married and we have one-year old daughter. I came to the Netherlands 6 years ago to study Engineering. Now I am working as a Design Engineer at ASML. I love my job and I love technology. At the same time I love to help people and teach them the power of essential oils. It is my big hobby and actually my lifestyle.
How did you start your interest for essential oils?
My essential oil journey has started 1,5 year ago when I was 5 months pregnant. It was beginning of October. The weather was still quite warm but I knew that cold is coming and I have to take care of my immunity system asap. Since I’ve moved to the Netherlands, I’ve been strangling from cold and different viruses starting from early autumn till late spring. The only thing that helped me from time to time was special vitamins. Of course, with pregnancy everything has changed and I was looking for natural solution that supports me without any side effect for my baby… Honestly, I almost gave up when one of my colleagues suggested to try essential oils. I was very skeptical at the beginning because I could not understand how nice smell will help me to concur the viruses. As I did not have any other option, I started applying a drop of special oil blend on the bottom of my feet and on the back of my neck every time I went outside. I carried oil everywhere with me and as soon as I noticed a sick person, I took one drop of oil on my hands and inhaled. In such a way I went through autumn, winter, and spring without any cold or even light flu. Even more, during that time I’ve been learning a lot about these magic helpers and I’ve started actively integrate essential oils into my daily life. Actually, oils helped me to go through quite tough delivery, they helped me to recover quite fast, they completely change my life !!! I don’t use any medicine, my home is clean from toxic products. I cook, support my health and heath of my family, take care of our bodies and our emotions, I wash our cloth and clean our house with essential oils.
What are your favourite essential oils?
It is difficult to choose my favourite oils as I love so many of them 🙂 I think if I would choose three the most valuable to me they will be
- Frankincense This is the King of oils. This oil provides so many benefits to our bodies such as immunity system support, emotional balance, healthy skin. This is one of the oils that clean DNA of our cells from different genetic diseases. Personally, I take one drop of this oil every morning internally in order to support general health, I diffuse couple of drops at the evening to calm down after difficult day, I add 2 drops to my face cream to illuminate wrinkles.
- Lavander This oil is also my must have oil, specially, when it comes to taking care of my daughter. Drop of lavender on the pillow or on the bottom of the feet will take care of your deep sleep and good recovery. This oil helps with pain – I diluted it and apply on my daughter gums when she started to get teeth. Whenever she falls down and hit herself, I apply a small amount of oil with coconut oil on the damaged place and after some time, I don’t see any sign. Lavander is also great beauty product: add to the cream, shower gel, lotion to support health and radiant skin!
- Lemon Oh, I can find many applications for this oil. As other citrus oils, this oil has cleaning properties. I add 2-3 drops to my morning water in order to support digestive system. I like to inhale lemon to get energetic and motivated. I clean with this oil my house and wash the cloth of my daughter. I add some drops of lemon to my homemade chocolate and it tastes amazing !!! You definitely should try it 😊
What are the most effective methods to use essential oils?
There are three ways of using essential oils.
- The first one is aromatic. It is the quickest way to use essential oils. Oils can be inhaled direct from the bottle or applied to the hands and cupped over the mouth and nose. Usually we use this method when we want to affect memory, hormones, emotions or respiratory system.
- Second way of using essential oils is topical application. It refers to placing oils on some area of the body, including skin, hair, nails or teeth. We can use of “neat” oil or diluting oils (essential oils can be diluted with any vegetable such as olive oil, coconut oil). We dilute the oil to prevent irritation of the skin as different people have different skin sensitivity. We always dilute oils before apply them to child skin. I like to apply oils on the bottom of my feet and on my neck.
- The last way of using essential oils is internal use. In order to be used internally, the oil must be very good quality. I suggest to take internally only CPTG (Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) oils. Oil can be taken with a glass of water or directly under the tongue. Some oils have very strong taste or strong concentration. In this case, the best way is to take them with honey or in capsules.
At which age can you start to use the oils?
As I already mention before, if the oil is good quality (CPTG certified), you can use it even for newborns. The concentration and type of oil in this case is very important. For a baby below 1 month I would suggest to start with Roman Chamomile and Lavander in very light concentration and use it only aromatically for 15 min a day. General guideline for oil dilution is the following: for children below 6 years old dilute 1-2 drops of oil in 5ml of carrier oil; for adults the concentration can be higher up to 5-7 drops on 5 ml carrier oil.
Let’s assume we want to use maximum three oils. We are homesick and our immune system is very weak. What would you recommend to us?
Interesting question 😊 I personally believe that our body is very wise and it knows what we need. When I work with emotions, I would give you to smell couple of oils without telling you the name. And I am confident that you will choose the one that you need the most. Based on my experience, any citrus oil, such as wild orange, grapefruit, bergamot, will help you to lift up your mood and makes you feel as at home 😊 For immunity support I would suggest amazing blend On Guard from DoTerra. It consists of wild orange, glove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary. This is the blend that I am using on daily basis from early September till late April. And my third suggestion is Eucalyptus. It will help with all kind of respiratory issues (coughing, running nose, throat pain) as well as with emotional feeling such as tension, unhappiness, sadness. I like to add 3-4 drops f oil to warm bath and relax for some time.